Over 40 years of consulting engineering experience in the oil and gas, mining, power and infrastructure industries as a Senior VP and General Manager, Project Director and Manager. Previously responsible for all facets of the oil and gas business for Canada’s largest engineering consulting company in Calgary, Alberta. Projects included domestic and international heavy oil production, bitumen production, upgrading and refining, gas production and treatment, pipelines, terminals, LNG and power plants. Services involved execution of conceptual studies to EPC Lump Sum execution for major projects in Canada, the Middle East and South America.
As a Management Consultant since 2012 have conducted; risk/strategy reviews for a power engineering/construction company, readiness reviews for a major oil sand development, workshops on improving project execution for a major oil company, construction/contract management ‘Boot Camps’ for a multi-national energy company, Engineering Management training modules for a multi-national oil company, project execution assistance for an infrastructure company for transmission and distributions systems, execution strategy and development for an LNG regas, power plant and gas pipeline project in SE Asia and lectures at the graduate level at the University of Calgary in Project – Engineering Management.
Demonstrated success in:
- representing DYPNF Co. Ltd., a Korean material handling company for both mechanical and pneumatic conveying systems, assisting the firm to develop markets in the Canadian mining, fertilizer and petrochemical industries
- hands-on management and construction of major capital projects in oil and gas and mining sectors,
- negotiation of contracts with operating and construction companies,
- conducting and overviewing capital cost estimates for multibillion dollar projects,
- presenting risk analysis and risk reviews to the CEO and board members for major projects,
- conducting workshops, training and lecturing from the boardroom to the classroom
- advising owners in developing execution and contracting strategies for major resource projects
- conducting claim analysis and negotiating settlements/claims on major EPC contracts
- managing all facets of the oil and gas business for a major consulting engineering company in Calgary, Alberta.
- executing conceptual studies to major EPCm and EPC Lump Sum projects in Canada, the Middle East and South America
SAMBELLS GLOBAL CONSULTING, Calgary, Alberta, June 2012 – Present
Project Management Consultant
- Advising owners and developing execution and contracting strategies, risk management and execution plans for multi-billion dollar natural resource and energy developments.
- Lecturing at the University of Calgary delivering a two-day Module for Construction/Contract Management, “Financing Capital Projects”, Graduate class in Project – Engineering Management and delivering a two-day module for an international oil company on Engineering Management and
- Facilitating a workshop on project execution excellence for an Alberta oil sands company.
- Key member of a claims team to assist in preparing documentation to defend contractor position for change orders and other contractual issues.
- Assisting an engineering firm by improving their project delivery system for minor capital projects to over $1.3 billion utility programs for the transmission and distribution systems in western Canada.
- Providing risk reviews, contracting strategy reviews, cost reviews for a major power engineering and construction company for a proposed nuclear power plant project and major turbine refurbishment project.
- Assisted a Canadian Company to develop a $1.4 Bn LNG Storage/Regas/Power Plant/Pipeline project in Sri Lanka.
- Advising the Canadian President/CEO of a major international oil company and the project team on execution of projects in Alberta’s oil sands industry, conducting readiness reviews, cost reviews, contractor negotiations and training sessions for contract management.
SNC-LAVALIN INC., Calgary, Alberta 1978 – May 2012
Sr. Vice President and General Manager (2007 – 2012)
- Bottom line responsibility for the Calgary operations of SNC-Lavalin’s Centre of Excellence for oil and gas. Close working relationships with operations in Saudi Arabia, India and Edmonton with all P&L reporting through Calgary.
- Involved in key project sponsorship roles for major domestic and international projects from the oil sands of Alberta to Venezuela and the Middle East.
- Directed business development initiatives in Southeast Asia, China and Iran and assisted sister offices in client presentations in Al Khobar, Tehran, Houston, London, Johannesburg, Kuala Lumpur and Brisbane.
- Held ultimate accountability for minor services projects to multi-billion dollar projects and for EPC lump sum execution for Alberta and Middle East clients.
- Assisted the Executive Vice President in development of key initiatives (safety, estimating, quality, HR, business development, process engineering) across our world-wide operations to ensure consistency and application of best practices in all offices.
- Active member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, Management Committee – 2006 to 2012.
Vice President, Domestic Business Development (2005 – 2007)
- Strategic development for domestic projects in bitumen production (mineable energy and SAGD), upgrading and refineries for the Chemicals and Petroleum Calgary Business Unit.
- Coordinated marketing efforts between SNC-Lavalin’s North American offices and represented the company as Executive Sponsor on several major domestic projects.
Vice President, Project Operations (2004 – 2005)
- Management, monitoring and evaluation of all projects executed by the Chemicals and Petroleum Business Unit for the Calgary operations. Involved in business development activities, resource planning, project reviews, operations reporting, budgeting, training programs, risk management and mitigation.
Project Director (2001 – 2004)
- Petro-Canada, Wild Rose Joint Venture, Sulphur-in-Gasoline (SIG) Project, Edmonton, Alberta. Managed engineering, procurement and construction for the $391 million desulphurization project at Petro-Canada’s Refinery. Project required over 2.3 million field hours and was completed on schedule and 5% under budget.
- Petro-Canada, Wild Rose Joint Venture, ‘Big Ed’ Refinery Conversion Program, Managing Contractor – Deputy Project Director managing activities of 7 engineering contractors on a $5bn project. Developed project plans and procedures, project execution strategies, Chairman of the Project Leadership Team, completed risk management evaluations, team alignment, stewardship of total loss management (TLM) and critical key issues.
Manager, International Marketing/Director, Mining and Metallurgy (2000 – 2001)
- Managed the marketing and administration of the mining and metallurgical business sector in Alberta for SNC-Lavalin including the oil sands, coal and diamond sectors, etc. Conducted international marketing for refinery, pipelines, petrochemical and chemical facilities.
- Represented SNC-Lavalin on the Alliance Board for the Suncor Millennium Project throughout 2001 assisting in project completion and close-out. Involved in monthly meetings at site and analysis of project progress in the engineering office and follow-through with other engineering, procurement and construction teams.
Project Director (1997-2000)
- Diavik Diamond Mines Inc. (Rio Tinto and Aber Diamonds Inc.), Calgary, Alberta, (1997 – 2000). Executed pre-feasibility and feasibility study for a $1.27bn diamond project in Lac de Gras, Northwest Territories. Project involved 3.5 km dike construction, mine maintenance facility, mine dewatering, 1,000-person construction camp, 260-person permanent camp, 1.5 mtpa kimberlite processing facility, tailings disposal and containment systems, water treatment and management, airstrip and other infrastructure as well as remote site logistics using a winter road.
- Executed and managed detailed engineering and procurement for the Year 2000 $300 million construction program. All projects were brought in under budget and ahead of schedule.
KILBORN INC., Alberta and Ontario (1988 – 1997)
General Manager/Vice President Business Development
- Kilborn Western Inc., Calgary, Alberta. Managed engineering operations (110 staff), including administration, business development, project management, engineering and construction management services in oils sands and mining industries. Appointed Vice President of Business Development for three western offices. Major projects: Coal Mountain Expansion for Fording Coal, and a $150 million Wollastonite Project for Nyco-Minera in Hermasillo, Mexico. Assisted in the amalgamation of the Kilborn Western Inc. operations in Alberta with SNC-Lavalin Inc. in 1997.
- Kilborn Inc., Sarnia, Ontario. Management of engineering operations (80 staff) including administration, business development, project management, engineering and construction management services. Major projects: Alliance work with Shell Canada and numerous revamp projects for the Sunoco Refinery and Nova Chemicals.
- Kilborn Western Inc., Calgary, Alberta. Initiated a new office for Kilborn in Calgary focusing on oil and gas field facilities. Management of engineering operations including new staff hires, administration, business development, project management and engineering. Major projects: oil field work for Esso Resources, Dome Petroleum, Alberta Energy Company and due diligence reviews for CIBC and their clients for fertilizer and nickel projects in Alberta.
Project/Study Manager, Calgary Alberta (1988-1997)
- BioClean Fuels Inc., Mixed Ethers Facility. Environmental Manager for a proposed $535 million mixed ethers facility near Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta, Canada. Preparation of Alberta Energy and Utilities Board, Industrial Development Permit and AEPEA approvals application, other regulatory permitting, public hearings and ‘expert witness’.
- Shell Canada Limited, Environmental Study Manager reviewing the production and use of CO2 for enhanced oil recovery using new technology
- Transport Canada, Environmental Audit of Calgary International and Springbank Airports. Managed the environmental audit of the entire airport facilities prior to privatization.
- OSLO/Esso Resources, Oil Sands Project, Fort McMurray, Alberta. Executed a tailings study for a proposed 12,000 m3/CD oil sand production facility.
- Completed a due diligence for a confidential client of a major oil sands facility in Fort McMurray.
- Philippine National Oil Company, Managed study petrochemical industrial estate
- AOSTRA, Environmental Study of Co-Processing Facility.
KILBORN WESTERN INC., Saskatchewan, Canada (1978-1988)
Project Manager/Project Engineer/Manager Civil Department
- Canamax Resources Inc., Manitoba Potash Project, Manitoba, Canada. Manager of environmental impact assessment and managed the EIS public participation program and provided ‘expert testimony’ at public hearings for the Clean Environment Commission.
- Gordon Capital/Mitsubishi, Syncrude Due Diligence Study. Completed the review and audit of environmental risks and liabilities associated with the Fort McMurray oil sands project involving Mitsubishi’s 5% purchase of Syncrude Canada Ltd. from Petro-Canada.
- Canada Summer Games, Saskatoon executed capital works program sport facilities including olympic pool improvements, rowing and canoeing facilities (opened by Queen Elizabeth II), ball fields, soccer, field hockey and several other sports.
- Canadian International Development Agency, Environmental Seminars (1987). Presented a series of lectures in Xian, China, on environmental assessment and pollution control technologies for coal-fired generating stations.
- SED Systems Inc., Canadian Space Control Centre Feasibility Study for the Canadian Space Agency (1985).
- NewGrade Energy Inc., Consumer’s Co-op, Heavy Oil Upgrader Project, Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, Canada. Prepared environmental impact statements for this $650-million project. Coordinated and liaised with client, local interest groups and senior government officials on all project aspects, with particular emphasis on air emission and solid and liquid wastes.
- Tailings and Infrastructure projects: Cominco Ltd. (Potash Operations), Tailing Expansion; Central Canada Potash, Major Tailings and Brine Pond Expansion; Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan – Lanigan Division, Phase II Expansion, Camp and Infrastructure; PCS Rocanville Division, Expansion, Camp and Infrastructure.
PERMA ENGINEERED SALES LIMITED 1976-1978
District Manager, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
PROCTOR & REDFERN LIMITED 1973-1976
Municipal Design Engineer, Saint John, New Brunswick and Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
EDUCATION and PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS
McMaster University, Bachelor of Civil Engineering 1969-1973
Association Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta Current
Professional Engineers Ontario Current
Saudi Arabia, Venezuela, South Africa, China, Philippines, Australia, Malaysia,
AWARDS, PRESENTATIONS, CONFERENCES
Project Management Advisory Council, University of Calgary, Centre for Project Management Excellence, Co-Chair, 2012 – 2015.
Project Management Institute, Panellist for Calgary Conference, Mega Project Execution, 2011
SNC-Lavalin Awards of Excellence, Project Management, Husky Tucker Lake SAGD EPC Lump Sum, September 2009
Dominion Bond Rating Service, Canadian Oil Sands Conference, What’s on the Horizon?, September 2006
RBC Capital Markets’, Canadian Energy Conference, Oil Sand Project Execution – What the future holds, May 2006
The Canadian Institute, EPC Mega-Project Management Conference, All Aboard for EPC Lump Sum Contracts? April 2005.
Canadian Heavy Oil Association, Factors for Success – Lump Sum Project Execution, November 2004. Returned in 2007 and presented – How did we do? related to Husky Tucker Lake Project.